Wednesday, June 22, 2011

RUSTY JABBZ NEWSLETTER JUNE 2011 ISSUE # 08


RUSTY JABBZ NEWSLETTER
JUNE 2011 ISSUE# 08



City Parks Foundation Presents Summerstage
Talib Kweli, live tonight at Red Hook Park











































































Another, Summerstage event I'm on my way too. I've been enjoying them thus far and summer only just begun. What a beautiful way to set off the first day of summer with a concert by one of Brooklyn's poetic, Brooklyn's lyric, Brooklyn's finest emcee, Talib Kweli.

It's been about four years since I've heard anything from Talib Kweli. After his 2007 release of Ear Drum, the only time I notice Talib Kweli's name being mentioned was as a guest dj at various night clubs in New York City. Talib Kweli have taken up the art of djing. Although I've never gotten an opportunity to attend a Talib Kweli party. I don't think it can beat what's about to go down this evening. I think a Talib Kweli concert beats a Talib Kweli party anytime. This is no disrespect to his dj skills, I prefer to see the brother rock the mic, right.

My eyebrows even raised when I first heard that Talib Kweli became a C.E.O. of his own record label. Seeing, Talib Kweli as a mogul makes you wonder and think "Can, he really pull this off?"
I don't know, if Talib Kweli can pull off being a mogul. What I do know, Talib Kweli tonight can pull off this show. He, being an excellent artist and performer. I'am definitely looking forward to what's in store.

Arrived in Red Hook, missing my stop. According to M.T.A., the Smith & 9th St. station will be closed for a whole year due to repairs. So the F-Train, skipped that stop and went to 4th Ave. Today wasn't the day to learn how to navigate around Red Hook neighborhood blocks. Believe, what I say, today wasn't that day to do so, due to the heat. Extremely hot weather usually means rolling sweat down your body. There is rumor of rain, today. I don't think rain would stop these people from seeing, Talib Kweli perform this evening.

Once I arrived at the park there were people outside camped out "picnic style" awaiting the arrival of Talib Kweli. This is my third appearance coming to this park. My first was back in 2009 seeing, Shabazz The Disciple. My second appearance was last year, 2010 when I seen Jay Electronica perform. Tonight I'm back at Red Hook Park to witness another classic hip hop performance. I always receive great comfort and amusement in Red Hook.
There have been other times but those are none of my reader's business thats more personal. Tonight, we are out here in the spirit, mind, body and soul of HIP HOP!

This classic hip hop performance that I graciously speak of began at 6:45 with Los Angeles own' Dj Spin-A-Lect. The funny thing I thought they've introduce, Dj Spinna to be the opening dj.
I was later corrected. I should have known better, Dj Spinna wouldn't play songs like "Lil' Kim Crush On You", "Jay Z Jigga", "Ol' Dirty Bastard Shimmy Shimmy Ya", "Nas Made You Look" Well, you get the point.
Dj Spin-A-Lect did his thing despite my misconception. Spin-A-Lect, rocked for about a half an hour until the show got underway.

Talib Kweli took stage at 715, rocking till about 845. I didn't stay all the way to the ending. I wanted to beat the rush back to the subway. Trust me if you were out here and seen what occurred you would too. For the simple fact that, people just kept on showing up during the concert. Even when I left the park at 830, people were still coming regardless the concert is about to end in another half an hour. The park was packed not too capacity. Its an extremely large park I'm pretty sure it would have held more people if more people kept coming.

I have to send my shout outs to the organizers of the City Parks Foundation for putting this night together. It was amazing even though a lot of the songs Talib Kweli performed came from his "Gutter Rainbow" album. If anyone was out here you think this was a Gutter Rainbow Tour. I'm not too familiar with this album. I heard it was released this past, Jan. 2011 through a joint venture with Duck Down.

My compassion for Talib Kweli have some what faded. I know to some that sounds like a bad thing to say but its always been that way with me and all other hip hop artist. There comes a point in a fan's life where he or she must draw the line and have some sort of a cut off point. I hope I'm making sense.

You get to that place in the artist's discography where you just want to say, "Hey I heard enough of you! I don't want to hear you anymore! I'm looking for other emcees to listen too!" I know it sounds cruel but thats how I always lived through hip hop and thats why I was clueless to the majority of the "Gutter Rainbow" songs Talib Kweli was performing.

Despite my clueless of "Gutter Rainbow", the album and tonight's free concert was a good one. Now after hearing and liking some of the songs from tonight's Gutter Rainbow Tour, would that convince me to go out and purchase the album... ick probably not. You can call me whatever you want, a hater, an un-supporter, a critic but I know who I'am and that's a TYPICAL NEW YORKER!!!

A typical, New Yorker someone who just enjoy seeing there favorite artist at a concert as a opposed to buying their album. This concept is mainly focused upon hip hop. I just recently figured out the concept. So many of us New Yorkers would prefer to see their favorite hip hop artists live on stage rather than purchase their cd.

When people across the coast would say, New Yorkers don't support their own. You can see and understand now. We're mainly in it for the live on stage appeal, this is a city that never sleeps.
Thank you very much too, Talib Kweli for keeping everyone awake here this evening but the night is not over. What I was saying about the city never sleeping, you can continue to see more Talib Kweli tonight at The Highline Ballroom for a Duck Down records event starring: Smif N Wessun, Pete Rock, Guilty Simpson, Skyzoo, Big Sean and more.

Good Night,
Dj Handspin Dinero













CEO: Dj Handspin Dinero
Rusty Jabbz Entertainment Group
Office: 13477894543
Cellular: 16463394981
Email: rustyjabbzblogazine@yahoo.com
Email: djhandspindinero@yahoo.com
Vlog: www.youtube.com/worldwidejabbz

No comments: