Saturday, August 12, 2023

Rusty Jabbz Newsletter August 2023 Issue #05 "STREET RENAMING... DJ KAYSLAY"

Rest In Peace, Keith "Dj Kay Slay" Grayson
August 14, 1966 - April 17, 2022
How many of y'all remember his most favorite punchline?... " DJ KAYSLAY FROM AROUND THE WAY!"

I'm on my way uptown, East Harlem to be exact. Today they will be honoring one of the greatest Djs coming out of the NYC, Dj Kay Slay. The renaming will be taking place where Dj Kay Slay came from East River Houses on E.105th St. and 1st Ave. 

There is so much I don't know about Dj Kay Slay. I admit in the beginning I wasn't a huge fan of Dj Kay Slay when I first heard his mixtapes. It took me sometime to jump onto the Dj Kay Slay bandwagon.

Once the wagon started to be riden. The Dj Kay Slay mixtape started pouring in that is why this is such a tragedy that one of my favorite Dj's had to pass away. 

It's not the fact that Dj Kay Slay passed away. Everyone have there time at some point to go. What make Dj Kay Slay's death feel more of a tragedy is what the big bro had to die from, Covid-19. A sickness that couldn't be controlled. My condolences brother to your family. God bless to the Grayson family.

I'm glad I showed up on time. You know it isn't easy traveling from Brooklyn to Harlem especially on the weekends. I'm glad the unveiling wasn't done yet. When I arrived, Dj Frankie Cutlass was on the wheels of steel alongside Dj Trase. There were alot of people in the street here today for the renaming of E.105th and 1st Ave. Everyone enjoying the music just waiting for the moment.

According to Papoose, the drama hour will continue. He said, LL Cool J made it all possible that's good, The Drama King Dj Kay Slay legacy will continue to live on. 

There were alot of things I didn't know about Dj Kay Slay. I never knew Dj Kay Slay use to be a graffiti artist. For instance his original Graf name use to be Spade in the "Style Wars" Hip Hop Documentary. He had other names like Dezzy Dez TFA and Skeme. There became a time in Kay Slay's graffiti life. He started to get tired of bombing on the MTA trains and yards. Dj Kay Slay was looking for something new. It was 1983 when Dj Kay Slay career took off. 



The party is about to shut down. The permit wasn't for all day. It doesn't matter I still had a good time. I'm glad I came. I never seen anything like this before. I always wanted to go to a street renaming. Never went to BIGs. Never went PUNs. Never went to Pumpkinheads. It was a pleasure witnessing my first street renaming. It's not just any renaming. The street have been renamed to a man that's worthy. He's more than a man. He's THE KIIINNNGGG!!! Dj Kay Slay The Drama King. Congratulations to the legendary Dj Kay Slay. πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏ

#keepwearingyourmask 

No comments: