Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Rusty Jabbz Newsletter June 2017 Issue #03 "June 08th, Global Hip Hop Day!"

"A Day away from Brooklyn!" You ever had one of those days where you just want to get away. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to do something different other than being in Brooklyn, all day. I was given a chance to witness history on 1520 Sedgwick Avenue. How many of y'all know what 1520 Sedgwick Avenue is? Forty years ago, today it was the home of the legendary Dj Kool Herc. The place where it all began.

The birth of 40 years of Hip Hop. However, it was unfortunate I never actually got the chance to witness the historical moment. Today marks the day of the proclamation and unveiling of "Hip Hop Boulevard!" An investment according to Bronx Borough President, Rubin Diaz, Jr that cost 2.5 million dollars. 1520 Sedgwick Avenue have been declared as, "Hip Hop Boulevard!" Totally awesome! What wasn't so awesome was the fact that I had trouble finding Sedgwick Avenue. This is why I never made the official proclamation.

I manage to go to the Hot 97 Bronx Block Party being held inside Cedar Playground. This was some sort of an afternoon after party. I couldn't network at this event too long. You know, I gotta be at the plantation tomorrow morning. I needed to be back in Brooklyn at a reasonable hour. Despite the minimum time limit. I manage to enjoy myself. I must admit, I was feeling a bit out of place. I guess everyone in Cedar Park knew I wasn't from around here.  It isn't hard to tell, when you have on a sky blue fitted cap on the top of your head that reads, "FLATBUSH!" I wanted everyone to know where I was from. Even though today is about, Global Hip Hop. The day is suppose to be about honor, love, unity, and partying. There's fools in the Bronx. I just wanted to be on point.

I'am just glad was able to take part in this afternoon's event and be apart of history. Even though I missed today's earlier events. I'm glad I was there to witness the dj stylings from some of Hip Hop's elite. I would like to take this time to shout out, Dj Scratch, Dj Camillo, Dj Chuck Chillout, Dj Kid Capri, Dj Funkmaster Flex, Dj Red Alert, Dj Enuff, TT Torrez, Kurtis Blow, Bugsy from Hot 97. There were alot of other people, celebrities, celebrity djs. Everyone came through and represented history.

Welcome to "1520 HIP HOP BOULEVARD!"

For footage of this afternoon's event @ Cedar Playground visit:
http://www.youtube.com/worldwidejabbz

No comments: