Sunday, February 11, 2018

Rusty Jabbz Newsletter February 2018 Issue #01 "Black Comix Expo!"

            "Black Comix Expo February 11, 2018"

  I can not remember the last time I read a comic book. Comic book collecting was an awesome hobby between me and my brother growing up. It was my brother who have gotten me into the lifestyle and culture of comics. Although there are some who take this hobby rather differently than others. Perhaps I was one of those amongst the ingrates.

  Today, I gotten a chance to regain myself with an art I've once loved. Celebrating today and all day in Brooklyn at B. A. M., a Black Comix Expo and what a perfect theme of the day, "Black Superheroes".
Superheroes are something I always had a fascination for, from Superman to Batman to Wonder Woman to Supergirl to The Incredible Hulk.

  Can anyone tell me, what is a black super hero? Can an African-American be recognized as a black super hero? My idea of an African-American, who have been labelled a super hero were legendary figures like Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, Frederick Douglass, Nelson Mandela, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Thurgood Marshall, Colen Powell, Barack Obama, Assata Shakur, Afeni Shakur, Tupac Shakur and the list goes on.

   It's 2018, things are looking to be changed for our children. When I was growing up I looked up to the work of  great African-American artists and performaners, appreciating their hard work. Our children today should be recognizing, our people on the screens and within comic book literature, as an supreme heroic figure. A superhero is nothing more than a person of role model status. If there was any black person I would love to honor myself to. It would be none other than, Disney's KC Undercover.

  KC Undercover played by actress, Zendaya. I've been following this program for the last three years so you know it pained me when last week was the final week of the series. KC, an undercover teenage spy going on jobs with her family to take down the enemy of the government. At the same time, managing to become valedictorian at the end of her senior year. See, not only she was a great spy. She was also an excellent student. What made KC an excellent student and spy was the fact that she manage to keep this secret throughout her high school years without a soul knowing her true identity. This show, teaches you can do anything if you put your mind to it. Let's also not forget the support of family. 

   I seen some other impersonated characters in the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Characters like Wonder Woman, Sho Nuff. I can't forget the star attraction. He's been the talk of the town the last few weeks. Everyone knows, who I'm talking about "BLACK PANTHER!"

   That is what today's gathering is meant for this afternoon. The black comix expo are more than just a bunch of superhero nerds coming together to purchase various comics. Its a day of networking and intercepting among others who happen to share an interest in something you feel strongly about.

     I would like to thank the Black Comix for today's event and to all the independent comic book vendors thank you, as well for your participation. 👏👏👏

No comments: