Sunday, March 18, 2012

RUSTY JABBZ NEWSLETTER MARCH 2012 ISSUE # 03












FOKUS PRESENTS THE AMERICAN DREAM FILM SCREENING AT MACAULEY HONOR COLLEGE
March 22, 2012









It was an toss up being here. A very hard decision, I had to pick between "THE DREAM" or "FREE CANDY". You know, which one I've chose besides I had, Free Candy, last month it wasn't that great. Ironically, lol Fokus this evening literally had free candy. Not the free candy I was referring too but just as cute nonetheless.

I'm interested in seeing, what Fokus has planned for us. The American Dream, HA! don't make me laugh. How many people reading this blog know, what the American Dream is. To those, who do not know anything about the American Dream. I'am here to shed some light onto you.

I'm here this, evening at the Macauley Honor College. I've been invited by Fokus to attend, an screening of the American Dream. A film written and directed by Jamil Smith and Little Plow Films. I did not know, what to expect from this evening's presentation. All I knew, it'll be good. As all of Fokus presentations usually are.

This film's significance is based on a man leaving his home to go fight in the war. Okay, "PAUSE!" to simple perhaps. I know, what my readers are thinking and saying, "C'mon Handspin, this again. This story line is so lame. How many times have it been written on numerous occasions for books, television dramas and films." You maybe, right but this film, The American Dream is totally different than the rest. If any of my readers were thinking what I wrote.

Luis Walker, who is the main character of the film. He only has 36 hours, before his marine tour into Afghanistan. Accompanying, Luis on this tour will be his childhood best friend, Ron. (Ron, who looks like one of the cast members of Breakout Kings. More than likely he is one of the cast members.) Ron, who is also enlisted in the U.S. Marines and scheduled for the tour. Ron happens to be an ex-con with a female carrying his child in the womb. You already, see the pressure placed onto him.
Luis, his goal is to become the next Spike Lee. He wants to study film. Isn't that terrible on our people. This is something that occurs throughout the black communities. We get to an point where we've want to go to college. But we're unable too, due to the lack of household finances. It's like a never ending cycle or merry go round that just won't stop spinning. Many African-Americans and Latinos in the inner city, when the chips are down and they feel at their weakest they turn to some form of military service as refuge. I'm not here to write on my blog and tell anyone not to join military services. I'm here to tell you that if your one of those people that is always down on its luck and feel that being apart of a military forum will change your lifestyle. I'm just asking for you to give an more consideration, before making the final decision.

The movie starts off with Luis and pretty much throughout the whole movie. It shows a boy who is preparing to leave for Afghanistan. How many people, remember this war we had to suffer through? I know, its over and some of our troops came home but there are still some of our troops out there. The war maybe over but there is still a lot of work to be done in Afghanistan and other regions of the Middle East. All that being said, Luis preparing to go on his Afghanistan tour. He has 36 hours, and within that 36 hours. He's composing a documentary of himself for when he returns. When you view the film for yourself it'll probably look more like a will than a documentary. I think, that was the cleverness of the producer. Especially, the ending. Okay, I can't tell my viewers about the ending that would make me a spoiler. That's why this film is a must see.

My favorite part of this film and I know, a lot of people sitting in this theater can agree with me. It was the part... the "Buda Son". This part was very tense and emotional. It's where, Luis visited his mother who happens to be institutionalized at an rehabilitation center for the next nine months. The whole concept of "Buda Son" came about between the mother and the son reminiscing over a time when Luis was 2 years old and he signed up for some sort of film festival. Two year old, Luis was heartbroken by the rejection of his short film. The mother was heartbroken herself. What I liked with this scene, it shows the mother talking about the situation in which occurred. As she speaks it shows a little 2 year old boy and scenes to represent the past. The fact that the mother was so emotional and vulgar still over Luis's rejection. Luis is just sitting there and trying hard not to think about the past. He's more focused on maintaining his mother so she won't get out of hand with her improper language. Luis, trying to keep the tape pg.

What may have confused me in this film. Were the moments, Luis and Ron shared in Cancun. I was lost for a bit. I wasn't sure whether or not it was a legitimate scene. I began thinking, "Okay, Luis has 36 hours before his tour to Afghanistan. He is producing this video documentation during the 36 hours he's still in his hometown. So, I said to myself... This is probably archive footage of the time Luis and Ron spent in Cancun edited and attached to the video documentation.

Five months have gone by, Luis and Ron are stationed in the middle of their tour in Afghanistan. I wasn't a big fan of this scene. I could never get myself into watching the military. Whether, it be for fact or fiction. Your talking with a guy that was scared to watch, Mash..lol. Sure it may seem entertaining but even during those times. The times, during the Vietnam War. Where it was more corrupt and devastating. War is not something, you make a mockery of, especially in situation comedies.

When you and your troops are out there in the middle of no where. Steep hills, dark forests and sandy deserts, this is the only thing that laughs at you. I want everyone to remember this saying, "THE STARS ARE LAUGHING AT ME!!!"
Everyone, right now is puzzled by the phrase. Don't get yourself puzzled. Go out and purchase, Jamil Smith's The American Dream from www.littleplowfilms.com. This film will have opened your eyes to things that you may not have wanted to know. This is one of its reason's why it is being made available for... KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AWARENESS & TRUTH!!!

I encourage everyone to see this film. The contacts are down below on how to find information on it. Or, if your too lazy to do that. You can always scan with your phone, "The American Dream" artwork up above.
Little Plow Films
(310)488-6062
www.littleplowfilms.com
www.twitter.com/littleplowfilms
www.facebook.com/theamericandream

I would like to thank Jamil and Low Plow Films for putting such a great film together. A film with some kind of precedence. I would like to thank Fokus, for working with Jamil to help him get his presentation forward and working with other artists.





CEO: Jason "Dj Handspin Dinero" Lamar
Rusty Jabbz Entertainment Group and Media
Office: 1347789-4543
Cellular: 1646339-4981
Cellular: 1347902-5355
Email: djhandspindinero@yahoo.com
Email: rustyjabbzblogazine@yahoo.com
Social: www.twitter.com/djhandspin
Social: www.myspace.com/djhandspindinero
Social: www.facebook.com/djhandspindinero
Site: www.rustyphotos.tumblr.com
Site: www.queerazspin.blogspot.com
Site: www.rustyjabbzentertainment.blogspot.com
Vlog: www.youtube.com/worldwidejabbz

No comments: