Thursday, October 22, 2009

RUSTY JABBZ NEWSLETTER OCTOBER 2009 7TH ENTRY




RUSTY JABBZ NEWSLETTER ENTRY#07

"DJ HANDSPIN VS DJ KOOL HERC"

Dj Handspin Dinero coming to u 1nce again with autha exciting entry of Rusty Jabbz Newz. Last time, in entry# 6 I spoke 2 u all on the grand opening of of the Brooklyn Guitar Center in the Atlantic Center mall. I gave yall my incites & reviews on "GCDJ EXPERIENCE" that went down on thurs, Oct. 15th. 2day, I'm here to deliver, Part Two of that "GCDJ EXPERIENCE" but this time I'm going 2 sit down & have a 1 on 1 convo with THE FATHER OF HIP HOP, THE INVENTOR OF THE PACK UP & GO HOME THEORY, I bring u none other than Dj Kool Herc.
(And If u don't know u betta ask sum body beee atchhhh!!!!!)



Dj Handspin: I just want to say it is an honor 2 b sittin’ here in front of da Legendary Dj Kool Herc. We all

know dat ur considered 2 b, THE FATHER OF HIP HOP. Whut I always found dat were interesting in those times was alotta you dj’s invented different theories. Every dj had their own theory invention including u & ur theory I always enjoyed ‘em I believe it was made 4 amusement. THE PACK UP & GO HOME THEORY! U were da inventor of dat. I want u 2 tell my Rusty Jabb A Holiks anything u recall. Do u have any memorable instances of, “THE PACK UP & GO HOME THEORY!”

Dj Kool Herc: 1 story cumz 2 mind. I wuz always known 4 playin’ at The Webster Ave P. A. L., if u have any readers dat are over 50 & from The Bronx dey wud kno about da Webster Ave P. A. L. We had a dj named, Dj Smokie & da Smoke A Trons (BIG UPS 2 DJ SMOKIE!) Dj Smokie wuz also known 4 playin’ at The Webster Ave P. A. L. & it just so happen 2 alwayz b on da same night I wud spin there. Da thing w/ Dj Smokie, he had a crappy dj system & a poor music taste. Everytime, Smokie wud play da crowd neva showed any type of luv. U got 2 keep in mind these days other djs had a right 2 shut down anutha dj who wuzn’t playin’ right. So, Dj Clark Kent, he was in the place along w/ a host of others. Dj Clark Kent grabs the mic & begins 2 say, “DJ SMOKIE TURN DOWN YOUR SYSTEM!” So, Smokie he’s on the wheels got his headphones on he didn’t hear a thing. So, Dj Clark Kent says it again, “DJ SMOKIE TURN DOWN YOUR SYSTEM!” Kent, said it numerous times u cud hear da sound of his voice echo thru out da gym. So, I got onto my system. I made sure all my levels wuz gud cuz as soon as I drop dat needle & started playing da party came back 2 life.

Dj Handspin: Word, where wuz Dj Smokie?

Dj Kool Herc: DJ Smokie wuz still on his set playin’ in the gymnasium no1 can hear his system over mine. He eventually packed up & went home but b4 he did. He made an announcement dat he’s goin’ 2 b throwin’ a party later on 2night, on Weekes Ave & 1-7-6, which is the block he lived on.

Dj Handspin: Whut wuz da big deal about u playin’ da record? Whut wuz da record dat u played dat caused Dj Smokie 2 go home?

Dj Kool Herc: The name of the record is called, “HUSTLER’S CONVENTION” by Eric Gale.

Dj Handspin: I’m not familiar with dat record nor the artist. What kinda record is it?

Dj Kool Herc: U wud have 2 hear da record 2 understand but the point wuzn’t about da record. Back in da dayz, in the Bronx. Djs from the Bronx used 2 do sumthin’ call, “Drowning Out”. Whenever a dj is drowned out, he or she, dats right female djs got drowned out 2. Once dat dj is drowned out dey must pack up & go home.

Dj Handspin: Whut wuz da reason for da drowning out of djs?

Dj Kool Herc: Djs got drowned out for various reasons it wuzn’t just about dj skillz. A dj can git drowned out 4 playin’ a wack music selection, 4 having a poor dj system. Things like dat. It wuz from dat 1 night at Webster Ave P. A. L. where I drowned out, Dj Smokie people declared me the inventor of, “THE PACK UP & GO HOME THEORY”. In fact, later on dat night on Weekes & 1-7-6 , Smokie got drowned out again but this time by sum1 we all know as, The Godfather Of Hip Hop Afrika Bambaataa….. I’m not goin’ 2 say no more.

Dj Handspin: LMAO!!!, WOW!!!, Dj Smokie must of really sucked to get drowned out by 2 djs in 1 day in 1973 at The Birth of Hip Hop. 2 djs who happen 2 b iconic & legendary. At least, the 2nd time when he got drowned out he didn’t have far to walk home. Imagine that, gettin’ drowned out on ur own block. Now all y’ all djs know about “THE PACK UP & GO HOME THEORY” so da next time I run into a busta ass dj imma challenge ‘em & make ‘em pack up & go home. There’s alotta djs out there I wud luv 2 make pack up & go home. I aint gonna mention no names but y’ all who I’ m talking about. I wud like to thank, The Father of Hip Hop, Dj Kool Herc 4 dat lovely story & 4 coming out here 2 Guitar Center & embracing us fans w/ his presence & turntable tenacity. I’m neva gonna 4get dis day, (Oct. 15th, 2009) the day I met & interviewed, Dj Kool Herc.

No comments: