Thursday, April 30, 2009

RUSTY JABBZ NEWSLETTER MAY 2009 Entry# 1

RUSTY JABBZ ENTERTAINMENT GROUP



Dj Handspin in the house bringing you anutha Rusty Jabbz Entry Issue. I'm going to do sumthin' different from my traditional hip hop album reviews. I'm going to do sumthin' that Rusty Jabbz very rarely git a chance to do. I'm going to review a hip hop play that was performed live on stage at Medgar Evers College. I received this email last week and I wanted to check it out and see what it be about and if I like it. I write about it on my blog. Well,
to the producers, writers and directors of this play, "A NEW DAY". Obviously I liked it so here I am. I hope you enjoy my reviews and respect my criticism.

Wed., April 29th, I had the pleasure of visiting the institution that was named after one of our blacks leader, Medgar Wiley Ever. I received an evite to attend a viewing of a play titled, "A New Day". A film produced by Jamie Hector of The Wire/Heroes fame. I was surprised to receive an invite considering I never been to or even know anyone that attends Medgar Evers College.
The play was performed in the auditorium. I walked in kinda late so I might of missed the first half. From what I seen the basis of the play is about 3 inner city youth growing up surrounded by "D"evils and illegal temptations. The play does not follow the traditional cliche of urban art. The play sheds alot of education than entertainment. Where y
ou have 3 young boys that have a chance to make it out of the trap and into a direction of positivity. Chance, one of the characters of the play has a Martin Luther King esque persona. Chance preaches non violence and black pride and unity but preaching is easier said than done. Especially when you have constant threats and torment by a local street thug that goes by the name of Frisco. (Another character of the play)

Chance and his older brother, Lotto and a neighborhood homie, Conz have a chance at stardom. Lotto who is the older brother of Chance and neighborhood Mr Popularity man. The 3 enter a Hip Hop competition where they have to practice their dance and rap routines. Everything seems all good, don't it but the drama in between is what almost took a toll on the 3 of them almost getting disqualified from the competition.

In the midst of preparing for the competition the 3, mainly Chance had to undergo the everyday trials and tribulations of the ghetto. Chance always running into Frisco whether by accident or on purpose. Frisco is always looking for a fight but Chance wants to live
by his code of non violence. Until that one day when Chance had it up to here with Frisco and decides to give Frisco what he's been wanting which was a street fight that lead to Chance's old brother, Lotto shot in the arm and Chance's homegurl, Nadia shot as well. All this maylay happens only a few days before the Hip Hop competition. After spending the time preparing and rehearsing for the event. Chance mind is boggled when thinking of fallin victim into temptation. Chance worried about his brother being layed up in the hospital, Nadia being layed up in the hospital and also having to forfeit the competition. The pressure is thick on Chance. The one thing this play teaches you is to always have faith and stick what you believe in. Just when Chance was on the verge of mental breakdown. Both men, Chance and Frisco squash their uncook beef and Chance's brother, Lotto made it out of the hospital allowing Chance, Lotto and Conz to perform and win the Hip Hop competition. The play has a very happy ending. It was a cool play that was put together. I would like to thank Miles Mc Afee and Jamie Hector for inviting me to witness this play showcase.

WHO'S ON THE CORNER:
Now where about to shift back to the hip hop lane and see what emcee are out there.....
We find a new emcee that goes by the name of E-CASHES.

E-CASHES - "LIFE TO THE FULLEST" Produced by Alter Beats

A hardcore street anthem that describes the goals and aspirations of E-Cashes. E-Cashes is on a road to the riches and he wanna live the life to the fullest. The beat is a definite mixtape banger and potential club banger. E-Cashes need to focus more on the art of production with his team to grasp the chemistry. When you hear this record your going to hear the same ol' thing. But he's new and he got lots more to learn and if he stays focus. He'll have it all in no time.

E-CASHES - "SHORTY WAS LOOKING MEAN" Produce
d by Alter Beats
This next jam is a little more friendly gearing it towards lovely ladies. Every artist gotta have that friendly record to appeal to the ladies. On this one, E-Cashes goes in a little deeper and shows off his songwriting ability and stick to a concept and subject matter. Although the song maybe friendly that doesn't mean its radio friendly but with the right push in the right direction it can be that radio hit. If I was E-Cashes, I would focus more on stepping up the songwriting and building more of a fan base and some sort of street credibility.
Artists nowadays lack the street credibility and the art of battling. I know this is an era of the cyber emcees but we can't forget what makes an emcee a emcee.

LIVE ONE - LIVE ONE PRODUCTIONS
(written and produced by: Live One)
(www.myspace.com/liveoneproductions)
Peace to my dude Shawn J. (and no I'm not talking about Shawn J. Period) I'm talking about my big homie, Shawn J (from da plantation) aka Live One. Dis is the, "WHO'S ON THE CORNER?" segment. The corner is where I found half man, half amazing emcee, LIVE ONE. The corner is where this star was born. Hiding his lyrical skills and poetic technic is sumthin' rarely done. Sum1 with mic talent and songwriting ability wouldn't want to let that go to waste. Whether you wanna, "RHIME OR WRITE!" Live One hailing from the borough of Queens. He's THE DESERT'S BEST KEPT SECRET. Str8 outta Jamaica comes Live One to do sumthin' that is rarely done nowadays, drop knowledge, spit barz and write superb lyrics. Alotta NYC media execs claim New York has fallen off and how New York is soft. New York aint soft, New York still gots talent. Live One shows and prove that there is still fire burning. I've known Live One for a few years now and I was recently given the priviledge to sample some material for his forthcoming debut album. The first thing I said after I heard the cd was, "This nigga is not from Jamaica!" No disrespect to Jamaica, Queens but I never heard a emcee from Jamaica spit like this before. Live One sounds more like an emcee coming str8 from the Northside of Queens. Hearing his lyrical finesse made me think of emcees Live One would be well insynced with. Emcees like The Intelligent Hoodlum (b4 he became Tragedy Khadafi), Phife Dawg, Large Professor, Cormega and the LYRICIST OF ALL LYRICIST, NAS! Just solely on the basis of their "Neo-AfroHipHopSoul" swagger.
I'm only talking about the lyrical side of Live One. Live One is also a producer extradinaire soon to rub elbows with the greats like Pete Rock, Skeff Anselm and Extra P. The album is solely written and produced by Live One, hey can you blame him with lyrics like these only an emcee would know how his music should sound and how the arrangements should be layed out. Live One coming thru with a 10 track album leaving you wanting and fiending for more. I have a few favorites off the album, my turntable spinners would be the songs, "Never Fall" and "So Cold". There are 2 others that I like, the songs, "The Payback" this particular record I like for the production. It has a ooooohaaaaa sound in the background as the cymbal smashes against each other. My other fav' would the posse cut, "I'm Back F/ Grandz and Lou Harvey. This song has an Harlem B-boy appeal although the beat shifts off course during the hook giving you an eerie feel as a saxophone plays. There is the song, "Soul Story" some may git confused by the sing songy hook. People often mistake songs with singing in the chorus a tad r & b-ish. "Soul Story", is more prophetic and testimonial. A good majority of the songs on the album are not meant for young listeners. They're not meant for IG-NANT listeners. You gotta be very open-minded and well educated to grasp the intellect and lyrical prowess of Live One. Dis is whut the game's been missing. Live One, THE DESERT'S BEST KEPT SECRET. Pretty soon that secret will be revealed.
I'm going to end this review by saying, "SOME SAY, LIVE ONE, HE SPEAKS WITH COLLEGE SLANG. DATS JUST DA WAY DAT HE TALKS YO' VOCABULARY SPILLS DIS MANS SO ILL!!!" Or in his own words, "SO COLD!!!"



Well Dj Handspin Dinero wrapping yet anutha exciting Rusty Jabbz Issue thank you all for joining me and I'll c u next time. Any emcees looking for publicity and promotions hit me up at djhandspindinero@yahoo.com

No comments: