Saturday, February 15, 2020

Rusty Jabbz Newsletter February 2020 Issue #01 "The Photograph" Movie Review


First off, before I begin I must say, Happy Valentine's Day to all my Rusty Jabbers.👋🏼
I'm in the mood of love and booty. What a better way than to enjoy this Valentine's Day weekend taking in the premiere of "The Photograph" starring Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield. 

This happen to be a spur in the moment decision that I made this afternoon. Coming off of the hype of Tv One premiere of "Cherish The Day". I wanted to stay injected by the cupid arrow. 

I'm not going to sit here and lie to anyone, this perhaps is the most different film I ever screened and reviewed. I figured it would be. Watching tonight's presentation isn't the typical films I viewed in the past. This doesn't mean I dislike what I just seen. The Photograph is a good movie. It may not be my taste. The Photograph happens to be a more romantic and mature film. 

First off I must say this, the film is split into two parts. As you watch, The Photograph and throughout the film your going to notice a period of changes. The film was set up between two storylines involving Christina Eames and Maye Morgan.

The film begins on May 01, 1989 with a brief video bio from a rising photographer, Christina coming out of New Orleans. Who is looking to make her transformation from New Orleans to New York to further her career. Christina is willing to give up her love, Isaac and move forward to New York.

The Photograph starring Issa Mae and Lakeith Stanfield. The basis of the film revolves around a photograph. A photograph of an inspiring photographer, Christina Eames. Maye (Issa Mae) discovered a photograph and letter left for her by her mother, Christina. As, Maye gaze upon this letter and photograph. Its as if her mind is on pause. Looking with doubts to read the letter her mother left for her. 

This is where the maturity of the film comes into play. Its almost like your putting pieces together of how one have to do with the other. Trying to figure out how, Michael Block (Lakeith Stanfield) fits into this. Michael Block a reporter for The Republic, a magazine company in New York City. Who just happen to be in New Orleans scheduled for an interview with Isaac. Michael Block happen to come across a photograph of Christina Eames in Isaac's home. Isaac explains his reasons for having the photograph and what Christina meant to him.

Maye, a curator from the Queens library, where her and Michael have their encounter. I guess up until their first meeting the film was pretty good. I must be honest the film took a turn for me. It started getting dull and mundane for me. Keep in mind this is only my opinion. I couldn't keep up anymore. I began to dose off throughout the film. As I mentioned earlier, this isn't my typical film. Which isn't any indication of it being horrible. The film is good coming from another set of eyes. Its just unfortunate that my set of eyes can give it a fair rating. The only thing that kept me of interest were the comedy in The Photograph. I give, The Photograph a B- 

Upcoming Movies Premieres:
"The Invisible Man", February 2020
"The Way Back", March 06, 2020
"The Lovebirds", April 03, 2020
"The Woman in the window", May 2020
"Burden", Spring 2020
"Antebellum", Spring 2020
"F9", Summer 2020



No comments: